Skip to main content

Divorce without property resolution

Jackson, MS |

My husband divorced me through the newspaper. my name and his are both on the home. 10 years later he wants to make me sell him the property for 1.00. Can he do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to consult an attorney to review the divorce and the proposed settlement offer. If there was a summons by publication and divorce granted, a property division still needs to occur. Please contact someone to protect your rights

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.


You should not sign any documents offered or complete any transactions with your ex-husband until you have consulted an attorney regarding your rights in this matter. You may be entitled to an equitable share of the value of the home and other assets acquired during the marriage.


You need to schedule an appointment with an attorney. Any order issued by the Court needs to be reviewed by an attorney who handles divorces regularly. If the Court did not address property division in its Judgment of Divorce, then he probably cannot make you sell the house for $1.

Schedule an appointment with an attorney. Your situation merits more thought than a 3 line question and lawyers giving an off-the-cuff answer with little to no information.

No attorney-client relationship has been formed by this answer. The answer given herein should not be your only inquiry into the matter or issue. You should schedule an appointment and seek the advice of an attorney to fully explain the facts so that the attorney can make an informed analysis and recommendation concerning your problem and advise you of all of your rights.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer