Divorce without property resolution

Asked over 1 year ago - Jackson, MS

My husband divorced me through the newspaper. my name and his are both on the home. 10 years later he wants to make me sell him the property for 1.00. Can he do this?

1. Anders Ferrington

1

Answered . You need to consult an attorney to review the divorce and the proposed settlement offer. If there was a summons by publication and divorce granted, a property division still needs to occur. Please contact someone to protect your rights

2. Alexander J Simpson III

1

Answered . You should not sign any documents offered or complete any transactions with your ex-husband until you have consulted an attorney regarding your rights in this matter. You may be entitled to an equitable share of the value of the home and other assets acquired during the marriage.

3. Jon H Powell

Pro

1

Answered . You need to schedule an appointment with an attorney. Any order issued by the Court needs to be reviewed by an attorney who handles divorces regularly. If the Court did not address property division in its Judgment of Divorce, then he probably cannot make you sell the house for $1.

Schedule an appointment with an attorney. Your situation merits more thought than a 3 line question and lawyers giving an off-the-cuff answer with little to no information.