Divorce time line

Salinas, CA |

How long can one drag divorce in California. The other party is not cooperating in interrogatories and I filed for bifurcation. He opposes with stupid reasons. It,s been over an year. Waiting for bifurcation hearing, if it is not granted how long can it go. Will I ever be divorced ..

Every jurisdiction is different, but generally there are guidelines on how long until there must be a final jurisdiction, next time you in court set it for trial. File a motion to compel on the interrogatories.

It can drag on indefinitely. you can ask fro a trial but they can still drag it out. the bifurcation will be granted.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

The Court system here in Monterey works very quickly. His opposition to it, unless substantially harmful to him or the "marital community," is unlikely to be granted. However, as for the interrogatories, you would need to bring a motion to compel and ask for sanctions. If he does not cooperate on that, I usually file a motion to set aside his initial response and move for a default.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

Recommended articles about Family law