Divorce signature and hearing court?

Asked over 2 years ago - Duluth, GA

She left to Korea from USA in July 28, 2012. She said will sign the divorce paper if i sent it to her. I live in the USA . Does she has to go to a court or not? when a court got a divorced paper signed by both?

Additional information

If so, what type of form do I need to send to her? What is it called? Thanks!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For purposes of this question I am assuming you have been a Georgia resident for six months.

    Some Georgia counties have mandatory hearings in divorces. Some allow hearings to be waived. Some will waive hearings only in cases with no children. Some waive hearings only for lawyers.

    In most courts, if your wife consents, her attendance isn't needed.

    Now the important part: YOU NEED A LAWYER. Let me stress that. In general, there will be a number of documents that either have to get signed or should get signed ranging from an acknowledgment of service, consent to try, agreement to other documents that depend on the facts of your case. In almost every case, her agreement will lower the costs.

    If you need helpwith your case feel free to call me at 404-768-3509.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your state law probably includes a provision that allows entry of judgment by mutual consent, and allows it to be shown by signature. You should talk to a local attorney to be sure - or, if your local court has one, to the clerk or family law facilitator. But I would guess that, if you both are in agreement on all the terms and she's signed a proper judgment consenting to them, she wouldn't need to appear in person.

    Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are... more
  3. Kenneth M Keith


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can send her the papers, but that does not constitute valid service.

    She can sign the appropriate document consenting to the divorce but she MUST sign at the US Embassy or Consulate as the courts will not accept documents bearing the seal of local officials/Notaries.

    These materials have been prepared by Keith, Shapiro & Ford, for general informational purposes only and are not... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,319 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,319 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering