Divorce Settlement Agreement says Ex shall provide medical insurance coverage under plan through employer under COBRA ($700.00)

Pottstown, PA |

for 3 years and include as alimony. After divorce finalized discovered that COBRA not needed because wife had continued medical coverage of her own that employer did not make her aware of. Does wife lose the $700.00 month negotiated for medical benefits because of the way the attorney worded the agreement? I had to give up alimony to get the COBRA coverage. (I am disabled so medical was huge concern however that left me with much less alimony to live on).

1. Get in to consult with a different divorce attorney immediately.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

2. You will need to look at the wording of the agreement. It is possible that the value of the employer’s coverage could be deemed income to her, which could require an adjustment in the amount of alimony. Additionally, the existence of the employer based insurance could obviate the cobra requirement. A word of caution, do not voluntarily cease the cobra payments until the agreement/order has been modified

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Individuals and Families in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

223 North Monroe St.
    Media, PA 19063 (Philadelphia Area)
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.