Divorce Settlement Agreement says Ex shall provide medical insurance coverage under plan through employer under COBRA ($700.00)

Asked over 1 year ago - Pottstown, PA

for 3 years and include as alimony. After divorce finalized discovered that COBRA not needed because wife had continued medical coverage of her own that employer did not make her aware of. Does wife lose the $700.00 month negotiated for medical benefits because of the way the attorney worded the agreement? I had to give up alimony to get the COBRA coverage. (I am disabled so medical was huge concern however that left me with much less alimony to live on).

1. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

1

Answered . You will need to look at the wording of the agreement. It is possible that the value of the employer’s coverage could be deemed income to her, which could require an adjustment in the amount of alimony. Additionally, the existence of the employer based insurance could obviate the cobra requirement. A word of caution, do not voluntarily cease the cobra payments until the agreement/order has been modified

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Individuals and Families in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

223 North Monroe St.
    Media, PA 19063 (Philadelphia Area)
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

Answered . Get in to consult with a different divorce attorney immediately.