Skip to main content

Divorce questions. We married in FL. He lives in KY. I live in FL. There are no children . See questions in "add detail" area

Bradenton, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

Marriage Date: 4-15-1990 in Orange County, Orlando, FL. There are no children involved. My husband wants a divorce, he lives in KY ; I live in Florida. We have been separated since May of 2010 (2nd separation) He has hired an attorney, I agreed to divorce and relinquished my rights to the house. He agreed to pay for my health insurance up to $300 per month until I reach age 65 or become deceased. I am in need of answers to 3 questions. (1) should he become deceased, would I be entitled to his SS or would his new wife? (2) He is a Union Ironworker & has an annuity. Would I be entitled to any of that? (3) Can I get alimony?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You cannot submit broad questions like that and expect any type of meaningful response. The purpose of this site is not to take the place of having an attorney. Your questions require facts that have not been addressed. You have not even indicated where the divorce will be filed! You need to hire an attorney. Good luck!

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

  2. I agree, you should meet with a Florida Divorce / Family Law attorney if you plan on filing for divorce in Florida. KY and FL have different statues, this can change the outcome of your divorce.

    The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.

  3. I would need a lot more information to be able to answer you.

  4. I agree. A great deal more information would be needed to through review your case and provide with information concerning your rights and obligations in a divorce.

    Christian D. Smed, Esq. 407.644.2978

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above does not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Christian D. Smed, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at (407) 644-2978. Feel free to learn more about our firm at

  5. As stated by my colleagues, you should consult with an Attorney who can evaluate all of the facts of your case and provide you with a Complete Answer. This sounds like a contested divorce since there are issues about Alimony and marital assets and liabilities. FL has equal distribution of the assets accrued during the marriage and the debts. You should speak to an attorney before forfeiting anything that you may be entitled with. The law in FL allows for discovery so you can know what is available and you can make a well-informed decision.
    the divorce been filed yet? Is the divorce being filed in FL or KY?

    This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This response does not constitute legal advice.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics