Divorce question

Asked about 4 years ago - Trenton, MI

My final divorce hearing is in the morning and now he is stating he wont be there. Papers are signed and is uncontested. Will they grant the divorce?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Monika U. Holzer Sacks

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . If you are the Plaintiff, you can proceed without your spouse at the final hearing, provided that all the papers are signed. If they are not, they may allow you testify and supply the remaining paperwork later. You will not divorced until the Judge signs the Judgment of Divorce. I you are receiving child support or spousal support, you will also need to submit the Friend of the Court Judgment Information Form, the Uniform Child Support Order and the Uniform Spousal Support Order. These need to be signed by your husband, too.

  2. J. Richard Kulerski

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am an Illinois lawyer and am not qualified to answer a question that pertains to MI law. However, if MI's divorce process is anything like IL's divorce process, then he does NOT have to be there as long as you are the moving party.

    I assume you do not have an attorney, so be sure his absence is the first thing you mention to the judge.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,377 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,377 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering