Divorce question

Trenton, MI |
Filed under: Divorce

My final divorce hearing is in the morning and now he is stating he wont be there. Papers are signed and is uncontested. Will they grant the divorce?

I am an Illinois lawyer and am not qualified to answer a question that pertains to MI law. However, if MI's divorce process is anything like IL's divorce process, then he does NOT have to be there as long as you are the moving party.

I assume you do not have an attorney, so be sure his absence is the first thing you mention to the judge.

If you are the Plaintiff, you can proceed without your spouse at the final hearing, provided that all the papers are signed. If they are not, they may allow you testify and supply the remaining paperwork later. You will not divorced until the Judge signs the Judgment of Divorce. I you are receiving child support or spousal support, you will also need to submit the Friend of the Court Judgment Information Form, the Uniform Child Support Order and the Uniform Spousal Support Order. These need to be signed by your husband, too.

Recommended articles about Divorce