Divorce Question

Houston, TX |

I got married on the 29th of Jan 2010. I now feel that it was a mistake. Can I get my Annulment?

1. It depends. Just thinking that it was a mistake is not generally sufficient. You should contact a local divorce lawyer to discuss your case in detail and explore alternatives.

2. The Texas Family Code sets forth four general grounds upon which an annulment can be granted. They are:

1. If a party to the marriage was at least 16 but under 18 at the time of marriage and that party did not have parental consent or court-ordered permission to marry;

2. If at the time of marriage they party seeking annulment was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, as a result lacked the capacity to consent to the marriage, and has not voluntarily lived with the other party since the effects of the intoxication ended.

3. If either party was permanently impotent at the time of marriage and the party seeking annulment did not know of the impotency at the time of marriage.

4. If you were subjected to fraud, duress or force to get you to enter into the marriage and you haven't lived with her voluntarily since learning of the fraud, duress or force.

Unless you fall into one of these four categories, it is unlikely that you can seek an annulment of your marriage in a Texas court. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

www.oneilanderson.com