Divorce property pertaining to pets?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

Ex wife purchased a dog under contract with a breeder while we were married. At the conclusion of our divorce any remaining property left with me became mine. Does this include pets under contract between breeder and ex wife since the dog has been left with me? Does the breeder need to share with me the terms of this contract or has it been voided out by marriage divorce settlement?

1. Nicholas C. Zales

Pro

3

1

Answered . It seems to me that you own the dog and the breeder needs to share any contract with you. I hope you don't owe any money on this pet. Good luck!

2. Jane E Probst

Pro

Answered . Your divorce judgment should have dealt with these terms. Normally, if you take on the pet, you take on the obligation. Show the breeder the divorce judgment provision so they will know that you now have ownership of the dog and they need to work with you.

3. Elizabeth Lorraine Elliott

1

1

Answered . Pets are personal property. Frequently, dissolution agreements provide that the parties own the property left in their possession and they agree not to sue one another in the future. These are the 2 key terms that I look for when a divorced individual comes to me with a potential pet custody dispute. It sounds as though you are now the owner of the dog and the terms of the contract with the breeder are moot. To be on the safe side, I would have your papers reviewed by an attorney in your state.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.