Divorce or annulment in NY ?

Asked 10 months ago - Flushing, NY

I am living in NY and been married with my wife for 5 months . We plan to divorce recently. I have 2 questions:
1. If we can announce annulment, do I need to declare the marriage next time when I get married ?
2. Since we have been married for not over 6 months, do I have to declare annulment ? Or we can also get a normal divorcement ?

1. David Alexander Browde

Pro

4

Answered . You can't declare an annulment, you have to seek one in court. And it requires a showing of fraud in the inducement to marry. You can get a divorce - and will probably need the help of a local attorney.

2. Rachel S. Silberstein

Pro

3

Answered . if you are just looking to dissolve the marriage and not looking for an annulment for religious reasons, I recommend waiting another month and filling for divorce. annulment s are much more complicated. the divorce will be faster, even with waiting a month

3. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

3

Answered . Wait the month and get a divorce. It'll be easier and faster in the long run.

4. Myra Chack Fleischer

2

Answered . Annulments are complicated and typically require a showing of fraud. It will likely be easier to get a divorce. If you are granted an annulment it will be as if the marriage had not existed but if you want to have a trusting relationship the next time around I would tell a future spouse.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now