Divorce lawyer conflict of interest.

Asked over 1 year ago - Key Largo, FL

My soon to be ex-Father in law represented me in a child custody matter 10 years ago. Now he is representing my soon to be ex-husband in Divorce proceedings against me.
Is this a conflict of interest? Can anyone from his firm represent him against me?

1. Heather Morcroft

Answered . Not necessarily automatically. Was the child the child of you and your to be ex-husband? Did the to be ex-father in law attorney learn anything during the course of the previous case that would give him an advantage against you or harm you in this case? These are the types of questions that you want to ask. If you are uncomfortable with it, which I probably would be, I certainly believe you have a right to object to it, formally. I was going to go to www.flabar.org and get the relevant rule regulating the Florida Bar, which is our ethical rules, but I can't access the website at the moment. You may want to go to that site when it is up again, and look at the rule regarding attorney's relationships with former clients, that may also be helpful.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Donald Eugene Yates

Answered . It certainly appears to have an inherent conflict. I would suggest contacting the Florida Bar Ethics Department at 1-800-342-8011 and make an inquiry.