Divorce in California- My attorney and process server have been trying to serve Steve with divorce papers for more than a month.

Asked over 2 years ago - Orangevale, CA

Am I limited in the amount of days/months I have to serve him? Are there obvious legal advantages that would motivate him to delay being served?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your process server can't get your husband served after diligent efforts, he can sub-serve your husband by serving the papers to somebody at your husband's home or work over the age of 18 years and mailing a copy of the papers to your husband. You do have limited time to serve your husband, so he should be served as soon as reasonably possible.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Richard Eric Anthony Dwyer


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Be careful. Your husband might be trying to establish residency elsewhere or is simply shopping for an attorney before being served and wants the attorney to have the full 30 days in which to respond. More likely is that he does not want the divorce and is hoping that a delay will cause you to change your mind.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,752 answers this week

2,503 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,752 answers this week

2,503 attorneys answering