Divorce Decree states alimony changes can only be made by court. Ex told ssi I'm 62. Do I have to file now.

Asked over 1 year ago - Westland, MI

He's 62 also. I'm to receive half of his retirement. I don't know that he has filed for retirement or not.

Additional information

Sorry, It's spousal support. I'm unemployed. Does that make a difference?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Loren M. Dickstein


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you want a change in your alimony, you will have to petition the court to review the matter. Be aware that after a hearing, the support could go up, down, be eliminated or stay the same. Consider consulting with a family law attorney before you do anything.

  2. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would kindly but strongly recommend you have a Family Law lawyer review your Judgment of Divorce ("JOD") and analyze your and your ex's respective positions when the JOD was originally entered, and your respective positions now. Litigating spousal support issues can be extremely complex, so please ensure you consult with an attorney to assess your case strengths and weaknesses. I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

  3. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You have a right to his social security earning experience if the marriage was over ten years and can commence at 62 whether or not he commences collecting. I need more facts, to review the length of the. Marriage and the JoD. Call for an appointment.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more

Related Topics

Divorce decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,463 answers this week

3,513 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,463 answers this week

3,513 attorneys answering