Divorce Decree says I owe half of IRS debt but IRS has now granted me Innocent Spouse Relief. Can Ex take me back to court?

Asked 12 months ago - Fort Wayne, IN

Divorce was final about 3 month ago. IRS decision was made last month. I need to know if I can keep the refund or still have to pay him half of the debt. Can he take me back to court and have the Judge redo the Decree since Indiana is a 50/50 State?

1. Robb Adam Longman

Pro

4

1

Answered . Although the IRS has released you from the debt, you are still liable based upon the contract between you and your ex. If you want that to change the agreement needs to be amended.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

1

Answered . I believe Mr. Longman is correct. The fact that you were granted innocent-spouse relief bodes well for why you should not be responsible!

3. Kevin Matthew Sayed

2

1

Answered . You will need to get the contract for the divorce decree modified as both attorneys previously commenting astutely pointed out. The IRS has released you from liability, but that should not affect the terms of the divorce contract you entered into without judicial modification. Good luck.