Divorce court has not sent mail regarding court date - court contempt supposed to be this week - can it be postponed ?

Asked 5 months ago - Boston, MA

Can a failure to send a court date via mail by divorce court (I did nor receive it - nor did my lawyer) be used as a reason to postpone the court date?

Last time my lawyer was in court - the judge was supposed to make a decision and told him we are scheduled for April 16th - I am supposed to appear on child support contempt (which is what we are fighting to change to begin with).

After numerous attempts to reach my lawyer + not receiving anything by mail about the court date - can I demand that the court postpone the court date due to failure of both the court to produce the court date document and my lawyer not getting back to me? (I am seriously considering replacing my lawyer after THREE emails and 4 phone calls were made in the last 10 days trying to get an answer regarding this.

1. Estela Matta

Pro

4

Answered . You can contact the clerk of the court directly to confirm a hearing date. You can adjourn your hearing, on consent of the opposing party. You do not demand a continuance, you request it--it is always at the court's discretion.

2. Erik Hammarlund

2

Answered . If you have a lawyer who is familiar with the case, court, and judge, then you should ask your lawyer.

If you trust a bunch of lawyers on the Internet (who are not familiar with your case, court, or judge) more than you trust your own lawyer, you should consider finding a new one.

3. Anthony Rao

1

Answered . Speak directly to your attorney about this. They will resolve this, or explain to you in detail why it cannot be resolved.

I wish you luck.

Anthony Rao, Esq.

4. Timothy J. Connors

Pro

1

Answered . There are some concerns here; there first being that you have not been able to communicate to your lawyer about this. Communication between yourself and your lawyer is so crucial at every stage of litigating a divorce, especially a contempt, because a contempt has the potential for civil (monetary) and criminal (jail) remedies. I would suggest contacting the other side to see if they would agree to continue the case and/or go into court and file an assented motion to continue (if the other side agrees) or ask the Judge for a continuance based on what you stated above. Good luck!