Divorce certificate replacement and uscis Hi i'm married to us citizen and we are filling for green card

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hi i'm married to us citizen and we are filling for green card.
Befo i came to USA i was married and divorced in my country and i got divorce certificate which i lost it,now that i'm filling for GC i need my divorce certificate to show them that i'm divorced,i tried to get replacement from my country but they told that i have to be there to get it,i'm out of status because my visa expired and i can't leave the US.
my question : is there any way to show them that i'm really divorced? i have a witness
thank you,

1. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . The only way is by presenting the divorce certificate.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

4

Answered . Perhaps an attorney in the location where you obtained the divorce can help

3. Miroslava Orduno Rincon

3

Answered . Most countries have service providers that can visit the courts and obtain copies of certified judgments on your behalf with your authorization. Your best bet will be to search the web for such a service provider. Unfortunately, affidavits will not be sufficient in this case and only a certified copy of the judgment of divorce will suffice.

4. Francis John Cowhig

1

Answered . I agree with all my colleagues. Another way may be to have a friend or relative go to the court where you were divorced and obtain a certified copy of your divorce certificate.

5. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

2

Answered . No. You may consider whether it is lawful to get another divorce in the US. Perhaps, not.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before this matter becomes more complicated. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  6. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that you need a divorce certificate, your sworn statement that you are divorce will not suffice, nor will witnesses suffice.