Divorce and tax lien - what happens?

Washington, DC |

Divorce entered Jan. 2012. Court awarded sole ownership of marital residence to Wife and ordered Husband to prepare Quitclaim. Notice of Federal Tax Lien against Husband recorded February 2012 with assessment date of May 2011. Quitclaim recorded in March 2012. When Wife sells home, will IRS collect Husband's unpaid tax liability from sales proceeds?

If the tax lien was recorded against the home and has not been paid unfortunately I believe the answer is yes. Unless of course the lien is paid BEFORE any sale. I would consult with a tax attorney who deals with the IRS. This is really a question for a tax and real estate attorney.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Recommended articles about Divorce