Divorce after GC had been issued, can I still apply for US citizenship?

Asked 6 months ago - Bronx, NY

I just got my 10-year- Green card from marriage to my US citizen husband today 10/21. After long months of arguments, misunderstandings and all that, I decided to file for divorce. Can this affect my application for citizenship? And what else do I need from my (future - ex) husband in order to be naturalized?

1. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

4

1

Answered . You won't be able to file under the 3 year rule (spouses of US citizens) but you can still file after 4 years and 9 months of being a permanent resident. However, your immediate divorce after the the approval of your permanent green card may raise some suspicion and questions during your naturalization interview.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  2. Angela Teide Moore

1

Answered . Why divorce so soon after your green card was granted. Definitely suspicious. You can still file for citizenship but you will have to wait for 4 years and 9 months from when you received your green card.

Pro

2

Answered . can file after 4 years and 3 months

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

1

1

Answered . If you are not married and living with your USC spouse, you will wait for 4 years and 9 months from acquiring residency to apply for naturalization. You do not need any documents from your spouse.