Divorce

Asked about 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

My wife wants to divorce me,but I love her.How can I stop divorsing,please help?
We are newly married couple and she is younger than me,I explained her there always happy and unhappy times in family,that's why we should to understand each other,but instead she took our marriage certificate somewhere and came back,asked my passport and SSN.
How is the divorce work in US? How long does it take?Can it be stopped down the road,even she already applied?

1. Heather Morcroft

4

1

Answered . Florida is a no fault divorce state. If she wants a divorce, she can get one even if you don't want it. How long it takes depends on what kind of property you share and whether you have kids, but six months to a year is normal if for a contested divorce, two months for an uncontested divorce.

2. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

2

1

Answered . I will answer your last question: yes, the divorce process can be stopped down the road, and it happens quite often that the parties will reconcile.

3. Sema Yildirim

2

1

Answered . If she wants a divorce, there is nothing you can do to stop it. She has to file and have you served. If you get served, I recommend you hire a local family law attorney.

4. Alan Smith

Pro

Answered . Only one party has to want the divorce for it to occur. As others have said here, Florida is a no-fault state. If both parties agree to reconcile, the divorce can be stopped at any time. Just because you don't want a divorce isn't a good reason not to hire an attorney. Feel free to call me at 850-778-1355 for a free consultation.

5. Joy Nicole Owenby

Answered . If you are served with Florida divorce paperwork, you have 2 options. You can either answer and counterpetition for the things you want or you may answer the the marriage is not broken and file a motion to initiate marriage counseling. If you have had marriage counseling before or there is a history of violence or any other unusual circumstance, the court may not grant the motion for counseling. If counseling is granted it is usually only for 30 to 90 days.

Please be sure to consult with an experienced family law attorney to address all your issues and advise you of your rights.