Divorce

Asked 12 months ago - Randolph, MA

Can a divorce judge look at a marriage and consider coucleing because my husband believes out marriage is over and consider broken down but I believe we can work it out so my question is will a judge grant councleing or usually he or she would grant the divorced

1. Joshua N Robbins

Pro

7

Answered . I am sorry you are faced with this. If your spouse believes the marriage is irretrievably broken then he may obtain a divorce. A judge will not stop him nor will he order you both to attend marriage counseling. I know this is difficult; I suggest trying to make efforts without the court to reconcile your marriage. If he is intent on seeking a divorce then I suggest you retain and work with a divorce / family law attorney.

I wish you all the best.

2. Estela Matta

Pro

6

Answered . Counseling is generally sought BEFORE a court action is commenced. The court will not order it. Under modern American divorce laws, if you want a divorce, you will get one. Since your husband deems the marriage to be irretrievable broken down, he can pursue and obtain his divorce. That does not mean that you cannot try to pursue counseling on your own, if your husband will cooperate. In light of your husband's fixed position, your best defense is to secure legal counsel and hire a divorce attorney to assist you in securing the best possible settlement under the circumstances.

3. Helena S Friedman

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with other counsel who state that counseling should happen before the divorce.

Under the law, if the judge hears testimony that the a marriage is irretrievably broken down, and that is the testimony of one party, the judgeis obligated to find that there is an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. It takes two parties to make a marriage work and if one party believes the marriage is broken down, and the judge will make that finding. No judge will order marriage counseling.

4. Henry Lebensbaum

2

Answered . I have never seen nor expect a judge to order marital counseling.

5. Michael Fray Suarez

1

Answered . Unfortunately, counselling cannot be ordered by the Court. If your husband is insistent on divorce because he believes that the marriage has suffered an irretrievable breakdown then there is very little you can do to stop him. However, you can protect your rights in this process by hiring a qualified divorce attorney. Your lawyer will explain the process to you and make sure you are informed every step of the way. Good luck!

6. Polly A. Tatum

Answered . Unfortunately if one person wants a divorce and files with the court! the divorce will eventually happen. There is no mandate for couples counseling prior to filing for divorce in Massachusetts. However, you can obtain individual counseling on your own to help you deal with your emotional health. Many mental health professionals believe that going through a separation or divorce is the second most traumatic experience a person can go through second only to death. You will grieve the loss of your relationship and a trained therapist or psychologist can help! Divorce is painful, but the process to obtain the divorce can be lessened with the help of a trained, skilled and experienced divorce mediator