Asked over 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

can I file for divorce before an year of marriage? I have married with usa citizen and we are staying separetly since we got married. I hae file for green card yet. Now, she is black mailing me and saying that she will tell to immigration that I marry wid her for green card. what should I do?

Attorney answers (7)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can get a divorce, but you should figure out a way to resolve your immigration status.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Divorce is a private matter. it is for you to decide. You can seek divorce at any time in the marriage.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Vance Tate Davis

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Cannot file a complaint for a divorce in North Carolina until you have been separated for a year.

    It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential... more
  4. Janeita Lynn Lentz

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As for the question of whether you can file for divorce before being married for a year, the answer will almost certainly be yes. It will depend on your state's domestic and family laws. If you are married to a US citizen but are not living together, it will be incredibly difficult (or perhaps impossible) for you to get a green card through your marriage to her. Both spouses must participate in the immigration interview process, and the officer will ask intimate and detailed personal questions of both of you in order to determine whether your marriage was fraudulent for immigration purposes. Do not give her any money. What she is doing is illegal. Consult with an immigration attorney AND a divorce attorney immediately (ideally, have them work together on this issue) to protect your legal rights. Best of luck.

    Answering questions on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. In order to create an attorney-client... more
  5. Peter Barrett Morris

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ms. Lentz offers good advice to work with a family law attorney and an immigration attorney. Regarding whether you can file for divorce, in North Carolina you and your spouse must live separate and apart for one year with no intentions of resuming the marriage during that year, and you or your spouse must have at least 6 months of residency in North Carolina.

    This response to your question is general in nature, and is not intended (and is not authorized to be received) as... more
  6. Carlos Andres Lopez

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In North Carolina, you have to be separated for one year to file for divorce. Consult with an attorney regarding your immigration status.

  7. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . yes you may file for divorce but if you have immigration concerns you should meet with an immigration attorney before taking any action.


    Robert Brown LLC
    2530 Meridian Parkway, Suite 3050
    Durham, NC 27713

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,619 answers this week

2,278 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,619 answers this week

2,278 attorneys answering