Asked over 1 year ago - Tracy, CA

My soon to be ex is not cooperating in financial settlement and dragging the divorce . She , s asking for x amount of monies . We are from Ireland and she recently opposed my bifurcation divorce motion to delay divorce because she needs to settle some court cases outside the country which is totally not true . Is that a good reason to stop getting divorced . I want to remarry soon and get rid of the monster . There are no other dependencies like retirement plan or health care . She filed for divorce and it has been an year since she is not cooperating interrogatories neither agree settlements . I am looking for trail . Can she stop me from getting divorced . She , s literally blackmailing me . Will the judge have jurisdiction over other country court cases to delay the divorce if he believe sher

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You could file a motion to bifurcate and make a determination for status only. It may or may not be granted, but it is worth a try.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Deciding between a Divorce and a Legal Separation

A legal separation and a divorce are different because a separation does not end the marriage. Spouses live apart and remain married.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,499 answers this week

3,003 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,499 answers this week

3,003 attorneys answering