Divorce... We (the plaintiff & defendant) were asked to submit final judgment arguments to the judge.

Buffalo, NY |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce court

Final letters were due on July 26th, 2013. I wanted to know by when does the judge have to make a decision? When would I need to be notified of her decision?

The decision will be mailed to both parties since neither has legal representation any longer.

The judge can take as long as is necessary. Many courts have substantial backlogs of cases.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

The typical time period for entry of an order after submission of a case is 60 days. However, with backlogs and budget cuts, expect much longer wait times.

You should inquire of the court calendar clerk's office of the county for the average wait for that judge.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

It should be within 60 days, but "should" is subject to budget cuts and backlogs. If you don't have something by the end of September, check with the Court for an estimated date.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.PatchogueAttorney.com You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

Typically 60-days, but the Judge can take as long as they want to render a decision. Calling chambers will not get you to the top of their list.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce