Dividing a business during a divorce?

Columbia, MO |

My wife and I own a small flower shop, and are heading for a contentious divorce. Neither of us have the money to buy the other out. Is this something a judge will divide up?

1. Not necessarily. If you can both agree to a division of assets in a divorce, the judge will usually allow that. If you are represented, then you really need to speak to your hired counsel about this. It is always best to hire an experienced family law attorney to protect your interests in a divorce.

This website is intended to provide general information concerning legal issues in the state of Missouri. It is not the purpose of this site to contact individuals known to be in need of legal services of any particular type. Commercial solicitations are permitted by the Missouri Rules of Professional Conduct, but are neither submitted to nor approved by the Missouri Bar or the Surpreme Court of Missouri. Further, in offering this information to the public, it is not intended to create, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between any individual and The Van Leunen Law Firm, LLC or its members. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon review of the specific information in a case, acceptance of that case by a firm attorney, and payment of the required attorney's fees or retainer.

2. Calm people can usually work things out. You don't want to act in the heat of anger. Think about what is most important in your life, and the amount of emotional exhaustion you will experience being contentious. Let cool heads prevail. In my experience, there is plenty of fault to go around, so be careful about bringing out all the ammunition stored up over the years. It can backfire.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me through the contact information on my website. This is a general description of legal rules practices, and is not intended to be relied upon as legal counsel in this particular situation. There is no attorney-client relationship established by the answering of this question, and no expectation of representation in offering this general information.