Skip to main content

Diversity Visa: is it better to have an immigration lawyer file for my green card or should I give up? I want to act fast.

Los Angeles, CA |

I called in a few immigration lawyers but the majority (against their own business interest) are advising to do everything by myself because it's super easy. I am on a regular valid temporary non immigrant Visa and I never committed a crime nor violate my status so the process should be pretty straightforward, I am guessing. So I would need an adjustment of status before May 19? Although I got super confused with the Bulletin thing. All lawyers seem to not wanting to do it, some say they haven't done one in a long time, other said it's not worth to charge me. I am not opposed to hire a lawyer if the fee is truly low compared to other cases but so far it hasn't been easy to find a lawyer who is interested in doing it. Does it have anything to do with the fact that my case is "too easy"?

How can I have a general idea of what is an honest fee for this case? How do I understand if is it worth couple hundreds or couple of thousands? Thank You

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I have never heard of a lawyer not taking a case because it is too easy, unless its not worth doing for the money. You should try the avvo attorney finder. You would not even need an attorney in your area, could do it remotely.


Whether you hire an attorney is up to you, but the fee will not be in the "hundreds" of dollars. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Really? Even if there is no arguing, no fighting no having to proof anything, it still costs as much as any other case where there is something big to proof? Like true love, true job, true extraordinary ability?


You should consider using an experienced lawyer. If it was so easy, you wouldn't be asking the question or have any confusion.


It's not a bad idea to have an attorney do it for you. It is hard to give you an idea of how much the fee would be as they vary from location and by type of case. But, you probably expect something between $1500 on the low end and a few thousand on the higher end. Good luck and congrats!

This is not legal advice and is only general information. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship is formed by this communication.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer