Disorderly intoxication and employment?

12345 |

I was arrested for disorderly intoxication and have never been arrested before. I was just a bystander in a bar fight and so the police just arrested everyone around. How will this affect my future employment opportunities? How should I explain this story? My record qualifies to be expunged.

I'm in Florida

1. An arrest is not a conviction, so there is nothing to worry about or "expunge" (which is not a possibility in NY) unless and until you are convicted of a crime. Get an attorney who should be able to insure you don't have a criminal record.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

2. Unless there is some local ordinance, New York's Penal Law does not have a charge of "disorderly intoxication." There is a charge of disorerly conduct, which is a violation and not a crime. New York does not expunge. I suggest you retain a criminal defense lawyer asap.... especially if there is a chance there is surveillance video that would exonerate you that needs to be obtained before being taped over.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. It dependson whether or not the arrest rose to the level of a conviction. Either way, New York is generally not an expungement state.