Disorderly intoxication and employment?

Asked 12 months ago - 12345

I was arrested for disorderly intoxication and have never been arrested before. I was just a bystander in a bar fight and so the police just arrested everyone around. How will this affect my future employment opportunities? How should I explain this story? My record qualifies to be expunged.

I'm in Florida

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Unless there is some local ordinance, New York's Penal Law does not have a charge of "disorderly intoxication." There is a charge of disorerly conduct, which is a violation and not a crime. New York does not expunge. I suggest you retain a criminal defense lawyer asap.... especially if there is a chance there is surveillance video that would exonerate you that needs to be obtained before being taped over.

2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

1

Answered . An arrest is not a conviction, so there is nothing to worry about or "expunge" (which is not a possibility in NY) unless and until you are convicted of a crime. Get an attorney who should be able to insure you don't have a criminal record.

3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

1

Answered . It dependson whether or not the arrest rose to the level of a conviction. Either way, New York is generally not an expungement state.