Discrimination @Hotel in Newark - Can it be basis for an injury lawsuit, ESPECIALLY WHEN HOTEL MANAGEMENT REMAIN UNAPOLOGETIC

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

I usually go to a hotel in Newark and spent almost $1000 since I have been patronizing them. I have been noticing hostility from them but didn't think too much about it. Recently I had a guest try to visit me after 10 PM. I went downstairs to let my guest in but I and my guest were immediately harrassed by the security stating that no guest are allowed after 10 PM. I was never told about this policy before. The security really created a scene and really embarassed me and my guest. I really feel that the security decided to humilate my guest and me in front of everybody because of our sexual orientation. The security wanted to "put our business out there in front of everybody'' I have been noticing other forms of harrassment from them like the hotel providing me with smelly towels, etc

The last time I visited that hotel, a staff was asking me about my nationality. And I felt that staff became cold after I told him my nationality. The security person that harrassed me and my guest is friends with the same staff that was asking me my nationality. I feel they were using their authority to abuse and punish me as a customer. Also they started to mess with the wifi signal they were providing me and as such I couldn't complete the project I went there to do and they turned off the heat in my room as well to punish me because a same-sex guest tried to visit me after 10 PM.

1. Yolanda Navarrete

7

Answered . Although you may be right about the way they are treating you, I do not see a legal claim based on these facts. You have the option of patronizing a different hotel.

Pro

7

Answered . Sounds like discrimination based on national origin in a place of public accommodation (hotel), and a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act & LAD, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

6

Answered . You should consult a local atty who handles discrimination and civil rights cases. If you can prove discrimination based upon nationality, you may have a case. You may also have a case for discrimination based upon sexual preference. NJ law needs to be reviewed to see what protections you may have there in addition to federal.

4. Matthew C Simon

Pro

1

Answered . You may have a case. You should seek a personal injury/discrimination attorney if you have damages that you can prove. Good luck.