Discrimination? Asked to resign or be terminated due to lack of skills after they learned of surgery need & learning disability

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Since 8/2/12 I put in 12 hour days. I have a JD-MBA. There is no formal training for this position. In Dec. I herniated a disc and required ER surgery. 4 days prior to the scheduled ER surgery, Mgmt advised I was not advancing fast enough. I created & executed a training plan approved by Mgmt working with a senior Co-worker. Mgmt learned I was dyslexic and would need to accommodate sitting hours. A week after surgery, I was moved & asked to create a spreadsheet tracking 20+ employees for 1 Mnth. Despite being out for surgery, recovery & holidays. I completed the task. Mgmt postponed follow-up progress reviews. Jan 28th I was asked to resign stating I could not gain the skills. Is lack of training, dyslexia/herniation cause for a law suit? If I resign can I collect Unemployment

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

2

Answered . The timing of the decisions certainly raises an inference of discrimination. Would need to know additional facts. Feel free to call or email with additional information and I would be happy to give you my input.

2. Alix R. Rubin

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. White and Mr. Finn. In addition, since you were asked to resign, you should be eligible for unemployment. Only voluntary resignation not attributable to the work would disqualify you.

3. David S Rich

1

Answered . You may have viable causes of action for discriminatory discharge and/or failure reasonably to accommodate. I represent both workers and employers in labor and employment matters in NY and NJ, including, for example, disability discrimination cases and retaliatory discharge actions. Please feel free to call me at (212) 209-3972 or (201) 592-7200 about your matter.
    Sincerely,
    David Rich

4. Denise Kingue-Bonnaig

Pro

1

Answered . It’s important that you not resign at this time- your leverage for being able to assert your rights is highest when you are still employed by the employer that’s subjecting you to differential treatment. Also, employers benefit from resignations more than employees do, and the reasons for this can be elaborated upon during a legal consultation with an experienced employment lawyer.

You may have some viable claims under the New York City Human Rights Law, if your employer is located within one of the boroughs of New York City.

It’s important that your employer be placed on notice of the potential violation of those claims, after you’ve had a consultation with an experienced employment lawyer.

This is more of a priority than confirming your eligibility for unemployment benefits, since clearly, your job is on the line.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
    212-374-1511

5. Vincent Peter White

Answered . You may have viable claims for disability discrimination under both Federal and New York State law. I suggest arranging a free consultation with an experienced employment attorney.