Skip to main content

Discovery Requests Production of Records (Hard Ball)

New York, NY |

I specifically requested certain documents and the defense attorney is sending me spread sheets instead of sending me the documents that I requested. These spread sheets is not sufficient and is not what I asked for and they can enter the information that benefits them. Do I have to file a motion to compel to get these documents? Why is the defense attorney trying to send me "substitute" and "amended documents" instead of providing me with what I asked for. The defense attorney knows if his client provides me with these documents then they must settle because it benefits me 100%

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, you must look into filing a Motion to Compel Discovery or a Motion to Preclude. Retain an attorney as discovery can get burdensome.

  2. Send the lawyer a "good faith " letter requesting what you asked for and then file a motion to compel if he does not provdie it to you.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. File a Motion to Compel (and consult an attorney in connection with this). If the other side is playing games, you don't want to find yourself being "out lawyered" on technical issues.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

  4. I agree with the answers you've received. But keep in mind that if the document you are looking for doesn't exist, the defendant is under no obligation to create it to satisfy your demand.

    I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics