Discovery and evidence question

Asked over 2 years ago - San Luis Obispo, CA

I'm a tenant plaintiff suing a landlord, the landlord's atty requested the same document discovery requests several times, I responded the first time.
After requesting doc discovery several times, then atty filed motion to compel document discovery responses.
Judge ruled that I have to respond to any request that was not requested more than once and that I didn't already respond to, and that I do not have to respond to any request that was requested more than once.
If I find any documents that I have never given the other side, can I submit them as evidence?
(not really in SLO, am afraid to say my location)

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you have located additional documents that you did not have before, you need to produce such documents in a supplemental document production response. Otherwise, the defendant landlord will undoubtedly object to the admission of such documents as evidence at the time of trial, and/or file a motion in limine to preclude their admission.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

1

Answered . Mr. Chen is correct. If you have additional documents, then you should do a supplemental response and provide copies of the documents.

You can, in some cases, withhold documents and use them for impeachment purposes at trial, but I do not recommend that someone without legal training do so. If you are wrong, they could be excluded.

3. Frederick Prescott Hayes

1

1

Answered . If you withhold requested documents during the discovery process, you can be prohibited from relying on those documents at the time of trial.