Disclose felony on application.

Lakeland, FL |

If I have a felony and adjudication was with held, do I legally have to disclose that information on the application?

1. If adjudication was withheld - you do not have a felony and may honestly answer that you have nver been convicted of a felony.
    If the question is whether you have ever been arrested, then you cannot truthfully say no.
    Falsifying an employment application is likely to lead to a termination down the road in the event you were hired and the employer later found out.

Until you retain this firm and we have an attorney client relationship, nothing stated above should ever be construed as legal advice on which you may rely in your actions. If you would like to discuss further, please contact me. Jason Holbrook, Esq. Holbrook Law www.holbrooklawpa.com Sarasota Office 1990 Main Street Suite 750 Sarasota, FL 34236 (888) 908-7824 toll free (941) 538-7878 phone (941) 538-7879 fax

2. Providing false information on an employment application is grounds for immediate termination. If asked were you ever convicted of a felony, answer "No". If asked were you ever arrested for a felony, you must answer "Yes". Honesty is always the best policy.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, a general purpose response based on Florida law is provided. All relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter is not available. Therefore, I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, the review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Karen Munzer, PLLC, www.karenmunzer.com, E-Mail: kmunzerlaw@aol.com , Tel: (786) 501-6655

3. Adjudication withheld means your were never convicted so you don't have to disclose that. Regarding arrests, Florida does not have a law prohibiting employer from asking that questions so you need to answer truthfully. However, the potential employer may not use that information to automatically deny you a job. Go to www.eeoc.gov and read the EEOC guidelines titled "Pre-Employment Inquiries and Arrest & Conviction".

Bonnie Riggens
    Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
    669 1st Ave. N.
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    Phone: 727-898-1401
    Fax: 727-823-7351

Business and Contract Law, Noncompete Agreements, Severance Agreements and Negotiations, Defamation law, Discrimination law (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), EEOC investigations and mediations, Family and Medical Leave Act law, Federal & State Employee law, State Licensing law, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment law, Unemployment Compensation law, Unpaid Wages law, USERRA law. Additional representation: Appellate Law, Personal Injury law

Civil rights topics