Skip to main content

Disabled Person Protection Commission?

Carver, MA |

If an adult with a disability is committing neglect against themselves (not bathing, secluding self, refusing to eat, etc.), can someone report them to the Disabled Person Protection Commission? Based on what I've read, "self-neglect" is only reportable if the person is over the age of 60. If the DPPC is not the proper route, what is?

The person in question is under the age of 60 and over the age of 18.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Yes. DPPC will investigate such matters. However, by law, they are limited as to how much they can intervene. Intervention can happen if it appears that the person may not be competent. If you have any questions, you can call the DPPC Hotline at 1-800-426-9009.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

  2. Generally the trigger is that they are a vulnerable adult, not their age.

  3. DPPC is the proper route and the situation should be reported.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.