Disability Retirement

Asked about 2 years ago - West Hartford, CT

If i retire from the state on a disability pension I was told that i can never earn more than 100% of my currant salary. I was hurt and have a substantial service connected disability, But im also young, not even 40 yet. That being said, is it true that I am never able to earn more more than 100% of what i make now? so in 30 years when im around the age of 60, i cant make more than i did 30 years prior? I could see offsets for ssdi and the like, but what about outside employment that i MIGHT be able to do, i have a wife and also kids i will have to put through college.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I practice Workers Compensation and Social Security Disability law in Virginia. You are asking a complicated question for this forum. You are asking about the interplay between workers compensation, a state disability pension, and Social Security Disability. It would be best to consult with an attorney in your state who does both WC and SS. You want to make sure that you are getting the maximum benefit from each source. There are offsets to consider. You also may or may not have the ability to do outside employment.

    This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is... more
  2. Robert Alan Huber


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Lutkenhaus. In many states, you could settle your workers' comp. case for a lump sum and pro-rate the proceeds of the settlement over the rest of your life. If that is possible for you,that would likely reduce the amount of income attributable to your monthly income and allow you to potentially collect a higher amount of other combined benefits. You need to talk with an attorney who handles workers compensation and disability cases in your state.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now