Skip to main content

Disability mother, US citizenship, wants to apply I-130 for unmarried son aged 43. How long do I-130 and I-485 approve?

Los Angeles, CA |

Mother's got stroke for 8 years and wants son to live and work in US. Son arrived to US on 4 April 2013 with 6 months stay. Does he require anyone to sponsor him?

Attorney Answers 3


The I-130 could be approved in a matter of months p, but will not be able to have an immigrant visa number available for about 7 years under current law and backlogs for this category, he will not be able to remain in the US during that time, unless in a valid nonimmigrant status or work visa.

An employer sponsoring him will take years and is of not immediate help, unless for some sort of work visa, if he qualifies. Seek to speak with a local immigration lawyer.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


At least a seven-year wait (abroad). More if he is from Mexico or the Philippines.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

13 lawyers agree


Only I-130 No I-485. You will only need 485 if the son is in the USA in a valid nonimmigrant status of a variety that allows AOS THree - four years for I-130

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Recommended articles about Form I-130 (alien relative)

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics