Disability and Cobra

Asked about 1 year ago - Levittown, PA

I have just started on Cobra from my last job for lack of work, it has been less than 60 day's. I am finding it very hard to find a job. I have read up on cobra and found that you can get an extension of 29 to 36 months if you are disabled. I am afraid that I am going to end up jobless without any medical insurance that I would be able to afford. I am torn, I am 59 years old and I would qualify for disability because I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease with RA. My last job is paying for part of my Cobra for me and my husband for only the first 3 months, after that my husband is 65 so he will have to go on medicare, because for both of us it would cost over 1,000 dollars. It will cost for me, just under 500. Please, I need legal advice or help with this situation.

1. Jeremy Lyle Bordelon

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Here's how the COBRA disability extension works: most people who lose their insurance when they lose their jobs get 18 months. However, people who lose their jobs because they're disabled don't usually get on Medicare until they've been disabled for 29 months (because of the way Social Security disability and Medicare waiting periods work). So, when the government enacted COBRA, they built in a disability extension that gives people an extra 11 months - taking disabled people from month 18 to month 29 - just long enough for them to get on Medicare.

There are a lot of caveats to this, though. In order to get the extension, Social Security has to find that you became disabled in the first 60 days after you lost you job, and they have to make that decision before the first 18 months of COBRA ends, and then you have to inform the plan administrator that you've been approved within 60 days after that happens. Sometimes getting approved by Social Security takes longer than 18 months, which means the COBRA extension is lost - there's no way to go back and get back on COBRA retroactively if they don't make the decision fast enough. At that point, you're just stuck waiting for Medicare to kick in on month 30.

I know this is complicated, and I hope this explanation helps a little.

2. Scott Ivan Fegley

Answered . You should consult a lawyer with expertise in social security disability. I recommend the Disability Law Center in Jenkintown, PA. (215) 886-0660. While you may receive the COBRA extension, you are still responsible for paying the premium yourself after the employer ends its partial payments. You should also be aware that your premium MUST be paid on time. The insurer may cancel your COBRA coverage without notice for one late payment. Therefore, I recommend you always send the premium to your employer or whatever address it is required to be sent to using a method that requires a written acknowledgement of receipt.

3. Adam Kielich

Answered . You may find this information from the Department of Labor helpful:

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/ebsa/health/employer/c...

The summary plan description for the health insurance plan should also explain how to request a disability-based extension.