Skip to main content

Different ways to prevent child support payments?

Edinburg, TX |

Child is unborn. Can the termination of parental rights end the obligation to pay child support?
Ex. Not being named in the birth certificate etc.

Attorney Answers 2


No. You cannot voluntarily terminate your obligation to pay support to a child. The only way to do this is if another adult (generally, the spouse of the other parent) agrees to adopt the child and assume that responsibility.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


First of all, it is no one's business regarding how the child is supported and raised unless it comes into the attention of the government. So, unless CPS is involved or there is a court proceeding, you can raise your child the way you want to raise it, with or without child support.

In Texas, most courts will not order child support obligation on someone who is not been confirmed as the father of the child unless the "father" voluntarily takes on that responsibility. Once the "father" volunteers, then all bets are off. Even if the "father" is not the real father, it is still up to the court to decide whether that child support needs to continue or not. A lawyer would be a great idea right now while it is still cheap. Once it becomes a hotly disputed court fight, it would be too late for any "I should have".

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics