Skip to main content

Different Last name - I 485 filing

Northampton, PA |

My PD is current and I am in the process of filing my I 485. The last names on my birth certificate and my current passport are different. I had changed my last name when I was 10 years old. Would there be an issue ? Should I be submitting an affidavit of some kind ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you changed your name, there should be an official document in your country according to which your name was changed to the one on your passport. You should try and obtain that document, submit a copy with the I-485 and keep the original for the adjustment of status interview.



I have my old passport which has my old last name on it. My new passport has my new last name. It also has a reference to my old passport number. Would that help ?

Lachezar Vanchev

Lachezar Vanchev


It could be helpful but it really depends on the adjudicating officer. I would get the official document (judgment, decree, etc.) stating that pursuant to A's request, your name was changed from X to Y.


I agree. It is best if you have a document to support your name change. Good luck.


It will only be an issue if you do not submit documentation of the name change.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer