Difference between a judgment VS default judgment?

Asked about 1 year ago - Monroe, NY

is there a difference in collecting

1. Rory M. Alarcon

1

1

Answered . There is more of a difference in terms of what you can do about the judgment. A default judgment might be able to be vacated if you have a good reason for missing the court date and a viable defense.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . No.

3. Robert K. Erlanger

Pro

Answered . The rule in New York is that cases should be decided on the merits, i.e. on the facts and legal issues raised. There is no difference between a judgment on the merits and a judgment by default in terms of collection (if you act quickly), but as a prior attorney's answer observed there is a much greater chance that a default judgment will be vacated (thrown out) precisely because it is not a judgment on the merits.