Difference between a DUI and a DWI

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I go a dui about ten years ago but I was wondering is it connsidered a misdemeanor or is a violation. I'm not sure what the difference is because I also got a dwi about 5 years ago and I know that is a miisdemeanor. I guess I'm wondering if here is any chance that a dui is only a infraction

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

8

Answered . The terms are interchangeable by regular people but it is DWI as a misdemeanor and DWAI is a violation. I expect your 1st was a DWAI as a 2nd DWI misdemeanor in 10 years is usually a felony.
    You can check with the clerk of the court where the cases were.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Carl Scott Spector

Pro

8

Answered . The distinction is with a DWAI, which is driving while ability impaired. A DWAI is a traffic infraction and not a crime. New York refers to the "crime" of driving while intoxicated commonly referred to as DWI. There is no real difference in the law between DWI and DUI. The real difference is as stated above between a DWI/DUI and DWAI.

I hope that this explanation helps.

Good Luck-

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . Check in court to see what you plead to. There is an infraction.

4. Marco Caviglia

7

Answered . DWI is the name afforded drunk driving in NYS, whereas a number of other states use DUI. They differ only insofar as a particular states' levels of BAC for intoxication and procedures (probably all states use the same BAC level because of federal pressure imposed when the legislation was passed). Typically a "DUI" is a misdemeanor, but you should check with an attorney from the state in which you were convicted.

5. Scott Christopher Nolan

6

Answered . This is one of the most common questions DUI/DWI attorneys hear, so I'm glad you asked.

In some states (such as my own Virginia), there is no difference between the two. In some other states and in the Federal courts, they are two distinct charges. Not only that, but the difference between them depends on the jurisdiction.

In some states, the difference is that DWI is more serious because it means a higher Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC). In most states where there is a difference, however, Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) is the more serious charge because it involves evidence of a specific BAC, while Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is simply having consumed enough alcohol to have affected your ability to operate a vehicle.

Then there are states that call the same things DWAI or OUI. Oy....

Both charges tend to be misdemeanors unless you have committed several (in Virginia, it's three) within ten years, so most likely your DUI is a misdemeanor, but you really need to consult with a local DUI/DWI attorney.

6. Brian Howard Berkowitz

Pro

4

Answered . Thank you for your question. I recently blogged about a similar issue on my website (http://www.berklaw.com/DWI-Attorney-Blog/2012/J...).

Good luck and thanks again for your question.

Brian Berkowitz is a DWI and Criminal Defense Attorney located in Rockland County, New York. www.Berklaw.com

7. Judy A. Goldstein

5

Answered . Different states charge differently. The terms are used interchangeably. Both violations of the law can be either misdemeanors or felonies depending upon the specific facts of the case.