Did the police have the right to search me and my car without asking me or telling me why he was doing it in public parking lot?

Asked over 2 years ago - Martinez, CA

The police officer said I had to prove to him I had a valid D.L. or he would not allow me to leave. Then began searching my pockets of my coat and pants then my car. He would not tell me why. also never asked me if he could.

1. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

1

Answered . You gave no details on your position with respect to the vehicle, whether you were inside or outside or operating or not. You didn't say whether you were trying to leave on foot or in the vehicle.

There are a great deal of specific facts needed for a search and seizure analysis.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
    (562) 594-9784
    http://patentax.com/curt/index.html

2. David Jon Pullman

Answered . It would depend on the circumstances. Did he find any contraband or arrest you for anything?

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . The 2nd and 3rd times you posted this question you added significant detail. You were not in a parking lot but at a gas station. Furthermore your license was suspended which means you were probably also on probation. Cops do not need a reason to conduct a probation search.