Did the Naturalization Interview and received "a decision cannot yet be made about your application", what should I do?

At the beginning of September, i went to the Naturalization interview and passed the test, but when the officer gave me the results, the box "a decision cannot yet be made about your application". What should I do? I've been in the US since 1984 and hasn't been out of the country for more than 1 month. I've been to Canada about 4-5 times on vacation, for no longer than one and a half week at a time. I've been back to my country twice and those two trips, I was only there for 1 month. I have no idea why it should be taking this long. I haven't heard from them since I took the test. What can I do?

Quincy, MA -

Ilir Kavaja

Ilir Kavaja

Immigration Attorney - Boston, MA

1. Try to find out why you got that decision (any criminal history in your past maybe?). There are many reasons that someone may be given that answer, but you need to find out what the reason is as it pertains to you. Once you find out the reason, then you can challenge it.
2. Speak with a local Immigration Law attorney. An attorney will be able to sit down with you for a free consultation, and devise a fact and situation specific plan with you.

Best of Luck,

Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
30 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116
617-515-5545
www.KavajaLaw.com

Gregory Romanovsky

Gregory Romanovsky

Immigration Attorney - Boston, MA

By law, the immigration service has 120 days from the time of the interview to give you a decision on your naturalization application. Most likely, they will, but if they don't - you have the right to petition to federal court. I am happy to talk to you about this option.

Gregory Romanovsky, Esq.
617.787.0000
gr@romanovskylaw.com
www.romanovskylaw.com

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

Your status with "a decision cannot yet be made about your application" indicates, at least to me, that your file has raised certain questions and required further scrutiny or follow up by the USCIS. Since I have not worked on your file and have not represented you at that interview I cannot say what possibly led to such closer review.
That brings us to the issue of your next action. In my opinion, especially, when you "have no idea why it should be taking this long" requires a professional assistance by a competent immigration attorney in MA.
And, finally, it has been my experience that immigration matters submitted prior pro se and resulted in a similar result are more complex due to the already created omissions and possible mistakes one desires to avoid ab initio.

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Immigration Attorney - Worcester, MA

The beginning of September is not a long time ago. I have seen some people wait a year or even longer. If you do not hear from them after six months, you may contact them at 800-375-5283 or schedule an INFOPASS appointment at the local USCIS office