Did the landlord breach the contract, and am I entitled to my full security deposit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

I signed a month to month lease with a clause stating I would lose my deposit if I for any reason decide not to move in . The deposit was a security deposit as specified in the lease , not a holding deposit . 3 days before move in , the sub lessor informs me a situation requiring he moving out at the end of the next month , and offers me the option of taking over the current lease or have my deposit returned . The next day he sends me a text insisting I move in and consider leasing the place during my stay . I replied the same day saying yea thats what I was thinking . After negotiating with the landlord that day , I decided not to take over the new lease . The next day I informed the sub lessor of the situation , and accepted the offer to have my deposit returned . I only received part of the deposit .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brad S Kane


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Under Civil Code 1950.5, security deposits can only be used to pay unpaid rent, repair damage beyond normal wear and tear, clean the premises and remedy future rent defaults, so that any remaining balance must be refunded.

    There is no such thing as a "holding deposit." Civil Code 1950.5(c) states:

    A landlord may not demand or receive security, however denominated, in an amount or value in excess of an amount equal to two months' rent, in the case of unfurnished residential property,
    and an amount equal to three months' rent, in the case of furnished residential property, in addition to any rent for the first month paid on or before initial occupancy.

    Finally, the landlord must provide the tenant with entitled to an itemized statement of the deductions from the security deposit within 21 days. Civil Code 1950.5(g). If the landlord fails to do so, the landlord must refund the full deposit, but can sue for damages. Granberry v. Islay Investments, 9 Cal.4th 738, 745 (1995).

    You should consider making a written demand on the landlord for failure to return your security deposit. If the landlord fails to do so, you should consider making a claim for bad faith retention of your security deposit, which allows for an award of treble damages. Civil Code 1950.5(l).

  2. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He must return your entire deposit because that was your agreement. He breached your sublease by not having the place available in the way he promised. He offered to terminate the lease in exchange for the return of your deposit. He now must make good on his promise.

  3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your facts are a bit nebulous, but based upon what you posted, you ought to be entitled to a full refund of your deposit if the sublessor was unable to perform.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,952 answers this week

3,248 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,952 answers this week

3,248 attorneys answering