Did the cops do the right thing? What happens if this is my 3rd possession charge under 20 grams?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

My friends and I were going to a club. We pulled into the parking lot, parked turned off the car, opened the doors and 2 male cops walked up the car with flash lights pointing at us saying they were gonna rip us out of the car if we didn't give them weed. After a couple more threats I then gave him 3 joints. The white cop first took out the driver searched him and found nothing. The black cop then pulled the passenger in the front seat, the 2 girls and I in the back seat out of the car. The officer told the driver that either way he was gonna search the vehicle. When he searched the vehicle he found a little bag of weed. He ended up giving me a written arrest for possession under 20 grams.

1. George C. Mangrum

4

Answered . First you don't need to say anything about the facts of your case on the internet or in public. Second, you need to hire a criminal defens attorney to look at your case ASAP. You may have defenses to this case that an attorney can present for you.

2. Don Waggoner

2

Answered . You need to do two things. The first, and most important right now, is to hire an attorney who will evaluate your case and advise you. If facts are as you say they are, you may have some defenses.

Second, never acquiesce to the demands of cops, but, more importantly, quit messing with weed or other drugs if you don't want to go to jail or hire attorneys. Your track record is not good. You are one of those guys who always gets caught. You can't break the pattern unless you break the habit.

3. Maria E Castagliuolo

1

Answered . I agree with the previous responses: don't talk about the facts of your case on the internet (this can be used against you later); speak with an attorney to discuss your defenses; and consider treatment.

It seems like you're asking about the potential penalties for possession of cannabis (less than 20 grams)? It's a first degree misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to 364 days in the county jail or 1 year of probation or some combination of jail and probation. This is your third time. The prosecutor is (most likely) going to know that. And if the prosecutor knows, he/she will inform the judge. The sentence you receive will be vary depending on where you are and what judge you face. In some courtrooms, misdemeanor possession is treated with a slap on the wrist and in some courtrooms, you'll do 364. This is why it's very important to contact a local attorney that knows the judges and can properly advise you.