Skip to main content

Did not lodge/File Will to the courts within the 30 day Period, Will there be any issues?

Studio City, CA |

My Mom passed and she didn't leave any assets, just some personal items totaling about $2000 (No real estate, stocks, jewelry etc.) so there is no need for probate. She left a will leaving all her items to her 3 siblings including myself the executor of the will. I wrongfully thought that you only need to Lodge/File the will to the courts if there will be Probate so I'm passed the deadline about 15 days.
There is no dispute on the will or anything like that, it would be just for filing purposes, Would there be any issues to file it late.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, just file it as soon as possible.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


Generally, laws such as California Probate Code 8200 are meant for the custodian of a will to surrender the document and file it with the probate court instead of holding onto the document for whatever reason. If there are no disputes with the will as you state, there should be no issues with filing slightly late. With the property you mention, you are probably looking at a small estate affidavit or something similar. Refer to one of the excellent contributors on this forum who practice in California for specific information.

If this answer is helpful or you feel it is the best answer, please click that option. This response is for general informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. The writer is only licensed to practice law in TN. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the answers by the named attorney do not create an attorney-client relationship between said attorney and the user or browser.


No-just file as soon as possible.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


You should be fine. The issue is if your actions caused harm or damage and can go to your right to serve as personal representative should probate be necessary. Under your facts, you should be fine. Just lodge the original downtown if your mom died in LA County.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer