Did not get the time the attorney told me I would get.

Santa Clara, CA |

Went to court and the attorney went back from talking to judge and told me they were going to give me 1 month so I agreed to it. Right away within a minute of her informing me if I accepted one month , They judge spoke the sentencing right away and the judge said 2 months jail time ? I didn't know until I saw my court paper. I asked my attorney and she said yes it's 2 months jail. But I was like "but you told me only 1 and I agreed to it why is it 2 " If I knew it was gonna be 2 I have decided to keep fighting the case. What can I do at this point help!!

1. You need to review this matter confidentially with the attorney in your case and determine why this happened. Also, you might not have gotten a better outcome. You might be careful what you wish for. If you get to take back your plea, you may wind up with more time.

2. So it seems you thought you were going to plead to something and get one sentence but instead at the last minute you got something else. The question is why did you proceed forward and sign for the deal when you knew that the amount of time was more than you originally thought. Tell your attorney your concerns and if he isn't giving you satisfactory answers, consult another attorney. Good luck.

3. two months in many cases means one month actual. Watch out about jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Consult with another experience criminal attorney before withdrawing your plea.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.