Did my Primary care doctor, violate my civil rights? or What?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Civil rights

On August 28th, 2013, i went in for a visit to my primary care physician. I arrived at 7:26 in the a.m. I complained of chest pains, shortness of breath (I have Asthma), migraine headaches, and feet and legs had been swollen off and on for approximately four days before my arrival that morning. I was told by the front desk associate that the doctor had stated she would not be seeing me. After sitting there all day up until four-thirty (with a doctor who had seen each and every patient except for me). After inquiring.. front desk basically told me, that the doctor was not seeing me because i did not frequent her establishment often enough. I called 911 and was transported to the hospital. where I received a blood transfusion within hours upon my arrival at that hospital.

1. No. Not your civil rights.

Doctor may have offended some state kaw or canons if professionalism. See a local medical malpractice attorney ASAP.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

2. It's neither a violation of civil rights, nor medical malpractice. They explained that they didn't want to treat you- probably to avoid malpractice liability. They certainly should have used more professionalism but I don't see a lawsuit here.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at www.knowthelawyer.com.

3. Only the government or a government actor can violate your civil rights. So long as the doctor's decision is no based upon protected-class status, then you have no claim. additionally, the US Constitution's First Amendment Freedom of Association Clause has been held to mean that the government cannot force anyone to associate with anyone else. The government cannot force a doctor to treat (associate with) you.

I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury and criminal defense. My answers on Avvo are not legal advice, and they do not create an attorney-client relationship. If you contact me--please understand that I cannot contact you--then I will carefully evaluate your case and determine if I will accept you as a client. Unless you and I sign a contract for legal representation, then I am not your attorney. Furthermore, Avvo is a limited forum and not well-suited for complex legal analysis. You should always obtain competent legal advice from attorneys who will carefully evaluate all your case's facts. Avvo isn't the place for that.

Civil rights topics