Did my mom steal my inheritance?

My father died unexpectedly in a drunk driving accident (the other driver was drunk). He left the entirety of his estate to me in his will, a minor at the time (age 16). My mother and he were divorced at the time of his death, and had been for about 10 years. My mother got control of the money because I was a minor. In those 2 years, she bought a large home in an expensive area of San Diego using that money (~720,000). She was previously living in an apartment. I am now 28 years old. I guess I assumed she would give me the house one day, but there are no signs of that happening. She avoids the issue. My questions are: is it too late to do something? If so, what should I do?

San Diego, CA -

Michael Douglas Shafer

Michael Douglas Shafer

Criminal Defense Attorney - Norco, CA

Contact counsel immediately and explain the situation.

Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous answer. You need to contact an attorney. There are a lost of issues that need to be looked into and lots of paperwork that needs to be examined. My only other suggestion is that you should think about what you want and how you'd like to go about it. If getting your assets means ending this relationship, is that something you are willing to do?

Michael Ryan Juarez

Michael Ryan Juarez

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Diego, CA

You should do what you want. If you want an assurance that your mother will turn over your rightful inheritance at your discretion then you should have an attorney arrange that for you. It all depends on what you want.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Probate Attorney - Livonia, MI

I agree with my colleagues. There may be nothing practically you can do to deal with this from a legal standpoint. It does not sound like you want to SUE your mother. If you are HER only heir, it is likely that at some point, you will wind up with the assets, anyway. You MAY be able to suggest to her that she take care of HER estate planning, in order to make this as smooth and seamless a process as possible. She really needs to do her estate planning, anyway. If you know that you are eventually going to wind up with everything in the end, maybe that is an answer that you can live with.

James Frederick