Did my landlord breech the hippa law by obtaining the police report from a family member in the mayor's office which listed a od

Asked 7 months ago - Crest Hill, IL

My landlord somehow obtained the ambulance and police report of a drug overdose in the home we are renting from him. Should he be privvy to this personal medical information because he is related to the mayor of the city of the house we rent from him. He recieved the police and ambulance reports from this person. So was the hippa law breeched by him getting these reports from a family member in mayor's office and police dept? Isn't it illegal for him to have this info just because he is related to these individual's? Also I believe he breeched my privacy act as well.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . HIPAA laws cannot be breached by individuals. Please refer to the other question you asked for additional responses.

Pro

3

Answered . Police reports are public records, and there is no private right to sue under HIPAA

3. Martha Ann Knutson

1

Answered . HIPAA does not cover your landlord - but it may cover the person who gave him the ambulance report. The police report is not covered by HIPAA - no matter how or from whom he got it.