Did my employer violate my rights?

Asked about 1 year ago - Carlisle, PA

I work as an hourly manager for a locally owned and operated McDonald's. I have been told by my store manager and supervisor that in order to avoid overtime I must clock out, despite still having to work. In addition to this, I am on a paid vacation week and have been mandated to be at the store for two separate one-hour long meetings, despite already being out of town. I don't know if any of these acts would constitute a violation of my rights, and if they do what would my options be for rectifying the situation?

1. Terence Sean McGraw

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . Being told to clock out and continue to work is a violation of the federal and state wage and hour laws. You should consult with a local employment attorney.

Mandating that you return for meetings while on vacation does not violate any laws in and of itself. You must be paid for the time actually at the meetings , however, even if you have already requested and been paid vac ation time.

2. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

Answered . Its difficult to say, there may be some improprieties with pay. You may need to consult in person with an employment attorney. If the amoint of unpaid time in question is minimal, its often best to try to work things out inyernally rather than inviting a chance for retaliation

3. Timothy M. Kolman

Pro

Answered . It's simple. This is a violation of state and federal overtime laws. You are entitled to the overtime. Keep detailed records. The question is whether you are protected from dismissal if you request it or file in court for it.