Did my employer retaliate against me for filing a formal complaint of sexual harassment? Is now stating I voluntarily resigned?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mosinee, WI

I believe I was retaliated against after filing a formal complaint of sexual harassment against one of my supervisors. I was never spoken to about the complaint, but my work area was moved to a small corner of the back of the building, next to a unisex restroom, I had other employees and direct supervisors direct inappropriate comments towards me, in regards to the complaint, was called a lot of names, and had pens thrown at me. I was suspended for unclear reasoning, and in the midst of the suspension received a very vague email stating my employer had accepted my voluntary resignation, which I had not done, Now they are refusing my records, and stating I cannot contact them, even though I am owed over $1500 in wages. The owner has sent me very threatening emails. and I have kept a log.

1. Deborah Gwen Roher

Pro

4

1

Answered . This situation has deteriorated way past the point where information on this site can help. You need to consult a qualified employment or discrimination lawyer right away. Try your local bar association or the National Employment Lawyers Association.

2. Randy T. Enochs

2

1

Answered . Finding an employment attorney isn't always easy, believe it or not, and if you run into a wall, you can always file a complaint with either the Equal Rights Division or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission while you search. Both offices have a referral list as well. Best of luck and this is unfortunate.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

4. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

3

Answered . Without more information it is not possible to give an opinion about this. The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Most attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. There are no hourly fees and most attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case.