Did my employer discriminate me because of my disability?

New York, NY |

I have been working for the same company for about 5 years, and within those 5 years I injured my back and now have sciatica. I receive injections to my spine every so often to control the pain. Any who, I applied to work a modified schedule for the summer, which means that i work longer days and earn a day off, i did this last summer. Today my boss called me into the office and explained to me that she would not be approving my summer hours because of my disability, and that she's concerned that I will call out during the summer. I only responded with "I understand" and walked away because I was so embarrassed that had I said anything more I would have probably started to cry. I don't know if this constitutes as discrimination or not and I am looking for some help.

It is discriminatory to say you medical condition will cause you to miss time from work in the future. It may be that they are starting to give you a hard time with your schedule so as to cause you to miss time and give them an excuse to let you go.

What is it that you do for a living?

The information provided does not constitute legal advice and is presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. Always contact an attorney when seeking legal advice. /

You should consult with an employment law attorney. As my colleague aptly points out, discrimination may have occurred. An employer can prevent you from doing certain tasks/schedules that you are physically unable to do because of your disability; however, to simply claim that you will likely miss work because of your disability is discriminatory.

McGrath Law Firm, PLLC Buffalo, NY Attorney-Client Relationship - The materials provided on this website are intended for informational purposes only. These materials are not intended and should not be interpreted or considered legal advice. The information provided by this site is not an invitation to an attorney-client relationship. A reader of this site should not rely on the information provided here for any purpose. Readers are reminded to always seek legal advice from an attorney duly licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction. Additionally, any communication via e-mail, phone, or other form, are not intended to solicit or create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between this firm and any third party. Legal Warranty - This website provides general information and may not reflect all current legal developments. You should not take action based on the information provided by this website. The law is ever changing, and facts and circumstances are critical to assessing a legal claim; therefore, information provided by this site may not be applicable to your particular situation, and should not be perceived as legal advice or opinion.

Disability discrimination cases are generally complex because the Employer will deny what you say happened. But, yes, if you can prove the facts as you describe, your employer is failing to engage in good-faith discussions with your request for a reasonable accommodation and stereotyping you based upon irrational fears about your medical condition. These are both violations of City, State, and Federal disability laws.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

Recommended articles about Employment